The perfect dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Omit the pancetta and the dish is the perfect meatless meal. No kale available? No problem, try chard.
Crispy Kale, Pancetta & Poached Eggs
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 221
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 25g
Saturated Fat 8g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 5g
Monounsaturated Fat 9g
Total Carbohydrates 50g
Dietary Fiber 7g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs, Toasted
- 1 lb Lacinato Kale, cleaned
- 2 oz Pancetta, diced (Bacon can be substituted)
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Rosemary
- 1 Teaspoon Crushed Aleppo Chili
- 1 Yellow Onion, Sliced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 4 Eggs
- Kosher Salt
- Maldon Sea Salt
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- For breadcrumbs: Place day old bread in a Vitamix blender or Cuisinart and pulse until crumbs are course. Place crumbs on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Toast for ten minutes in a preheated 200° oven. Set aside.
- Poach four eggs and keep warm in clean water at 120° The eggs will keep warm as long as the water remains warm.
- Using 12 quart pot, fill with water and bring to a rolling boil. Add 1 tablespoon of Kosher salt. Add kale and cook for two minutes. Drain, squeeze out all of the water and then chop.
- Sauté diced pancetta until crisp in a large pan. Remove the pancetta and reserve.
- Wipe fat out of the pancetta pan and then add 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add one sprig of fresh Rosemary,1 teaspoon crushed Aleppo Chili and 1 teaspoon Kosher salt. Cook for one minute over medium heat. Raise heat to medium high and add the sliced onion. Cook onions until caramelized. When the onions begin to brown add the garlic. Don't let the onion mixture burn or become too dark as it will become bitter. Remove Rosemary and discard.
- Add another tablespoon or two of Olive Oil to the onion mixture. Add the chopped kale and cook until crisp and black at the edges (about 30 minutes). Stir to prevent sticking.
- Place the cooked kale in shallow soup bowls. Top with the poached eggs followed by the pancetta and breadcrumbs. Season with Maldon Sea Salt and freshly ground pepper.
The Maine Project http://themaineproject.com/